Loulou restaurant in Stone Town: A passion story with Belgium chocolate

20 Apr

Loulou is a refreshing find with its stylish modern setting, romantic lighting, cool air-conditioning & gorgeous upscale cuisine.

Using fresh seasonal ingredients combined with the finest of imported Belgian flavors, LOULOU is a completely unique experience in Stone Town & considered one of its best restaurants.

LOULOU Restaurant is conveniently located in the Heart of Stown only a few meters walk from Dhow Palace and Africa House Hotel on Kenyatta Road at the Shangani Street Junction.

Some of LOULOU specialties include: Poisson Cru, Shrimp Croquettes, Local Crab Pasta (Rich, garlic and white wine cream sauce with generous amounts of local, fresh crabmeat.), Rock Lobster over Fresh Linguini, Peppered Beef Fillet, Classic Belgian Waffles, Chocolate Mousse (Creamy chocolate mousse topped with crunchy chocolate shavings. All made with imported pure dark Belgian Chocolate), Fillet of Fish with Passion Mousseline (Fresh catch-of-the-day, with a mellow, full-bodied passion fruit mousseline (cream sauce), Served with glazed carrots).

Advertisements

The Anglican Church and the slave market: a page of dark history in Stone Town

14 Apr

The Cathedral Church of Christ, also called the Cathedral of the Universities Mission in Central Africa (UMCA), is near the junction of Creek Road and Sultan Ahmed Mugheiri Road on the eastern side of Stone Town. It stands on the site of the slave market, used in the 18th and 19th centuries when Zanzibar was a large slaving centre.

A group of UMCA missionaries had originally come to east Africa in 1861, following the call of the explorer David Livingstone to oppose the slave trade and spread Christianity across Africa. In 1864 they settled in Zanzibar, after a number of earlier sites proved unsuccessful. When the slave market was closed by Sultan Barghash in 1873 the missionaries bought the site and almost immediately started building the cathedral.

Some adjoining land was donated to the mission by a wealthy Indian merchant called Jairam Senji. Today, nothing of the old slave market. When the first service was held in the cathedral, on Christmas Day 1877, the roof was not finished. It was finally completed in 1880. Tradition has it that the cathedral’s altar stands on the site of a tree to which the slaves were tied and then whipped to show their strength and hardiness.

Those who cried out the least during the whipping were considered the strongest, and sold for higher prices. The man who was the force and inspiration behind the building of the cathedral was Bishop Edward Steere, who was Bishop of Zanzibar from 1874 to 1882. (He was also the first compiler of an English–Swahili dictionary, using the Roman alphabet; until then Swahili had been written using Arabic script.) He trained local people as masons and used coral stone and cement for building materials. Sultan Barghash is reputed to have asked Bishop Steere not to build the cathedral tower higher than the House of Wonders. When the bishop agreed, the sultan presented the cathedral with its clock. The tower was finished in 1883.

The legacy of David Livingstone lives on in the cathedral: a window is dedicated to his memory, and the church’s crucifix is made from the tree that marked the place where his heart was buried at the village of Chitambo, Zambia. The mosaic decorations on the altar were given to the cathedral by Miss Caroline Thackeray (a cousin of the English novelist William Makepeace Thackeray), who was a teacher at the mission here from 1877 to 1902.

Behind the altar is the bishop’s throne and 12 other seats for the canons. They are decorated with copper panels from Zambia and show the names of several biblical figures, written in Swahili. The window behind the altar has been decorated with pictures of African saints, from Egypt, Carthage and Ethiopia.

Around the church are many plaques, dedicated to the memory of missionaries who died here, and to the sailors and airmen who were killed in action during the East Africa Campaign of World War I. Outside the cathedral, in a small garden next to the school, is a sculpture of four slaves chained in a pit – an understated yet powerfully emotive work of art that is well worth seeing.

St Monica’s Hostel:  This is an impressive old stone building in its own right. Apart from its hostel accommodation and its gallery and craft shop, its basement provides one of Zanzibar’s simplest, but arguably most moving and evocative, reminders of the dehumanizing horrors of the slave trade. A stone staircase leads down from the entrance hallway to what is reputed to be the dungeon where slaves were kept before being taken to market.

The dank rooms – more like tombs – are cramped and airless, with low doorways and tiny windows. Even today it’s a somber place – but imagine it crowded with slaves in their hundreds, men, women and children together, sick and exhausted after their grueling sea voyage, crammed five deep on the narrow stone slabs and shackled with chains which still lie there today.

The room on the right hand was for women and children only. The window in the middle has the original size of those times; the ones on the sides have been enlarged to give more clarity. There were about 70 women and children in that room. In the men’s room there were about 50. There was no sewage, all the grey water would be washed away by high tides only. The chain would be for several slaves at a time, around the neck of the first one, then a space and around the neck of the second one and so on.

 

 

Acoustic Concert at Mtoni Palace on Friday 13 April

11 Apr

Dear Music Lovers,

Since many of you were away last weekend we decided to ask our group to come and perform again on Friday 13/04/12!

A tribute to Um Khulthum and Siti Binti Saad, this concert is unique and not to be missed!

Please make reservations in advance!

Tickets are only Tsh 10’000 pp 18:00 pm (sunset) @ Mtoni Palace

Profit goes to the Mtoni Palace Conservation Project

Looking forward!

Mtoni Palace Conservation Project

Po Box 992

mtonipalace@zanzibar.cc

http://www.mtoni.com/palaceruins.html

T/ +255 777 430117

Archipelago Restaurant: a restaurant with a view in Stone Town

6 Apr

Since its establishment in 2004, Archipelago has become a busy restaurant in Zanzibar. Sunday brunch, lunch with friends, afternoon tea, all is good at Archipelago Restaurant: they take the freshest ingredients, and present them simply and thereby let the flavours speak for themselves.

 

 

Choose to sit with the view – it will keep you entertained and watching the dhow boat repair of beached ferry unloading

 

 

The service is quick and friendly and the restaurant has a nice relaxed atmosphere overlooking the sea and the western gate to Forodhani Gardens. It’s open to the breezes but has a roof to keep off the sun and rain.

 

 

Kizimkazi, South-West of Zanzibar: dolphins, coconuts and dagaa…

31 Mar

Set in the remote southwest corner of Zanzibar, the village of Kizimkazi is an apparently insignificant little fishing village which happens to be of great historical importance, being one of the first places that the Shirazi people from Persia settled along this coast.

The coastline here is very different from the classic palm-backed lagoon of the east coast. Here a coral rag cliff elevates the waterfront above the ocean and the beaches take the form of small coves rather than broad expanses of sand.

For decades now Kizimkazi has been best known as a location to ‘swim with dolphins’.  In this area inhabit two species of dolphins: the bottlenose and the Humpback. The Bottlenose are very friendly and they accept the human approach. The Humpback are more shy and they feel scared if you dive in to the water. For past years tourists visiting Kizimkazi for dolphin safaris have created some impacts, in particular a negative one is that the families get stressed to see too many boats and many people jumping into the water at the same intervals.

The Kizimkazi Mosque is a mosque situated on the southern tip of the island of Zanzibar in Tanzania and is one of the oldest Islamic buildings on the East African coast. Despite its name, it is located in Dimbani, not Kizimkazi, which is three miles away (this is because the official names of these two joined villages are Kizimkazi Dimbani and Kizimkazi Mtendeni). According to a preserved kufic inscription, it was built in 1107 by settlers from Shiraz. Although the inscription and certain coral-carved decorative elements date from the period of construction, the majority of the present structure was rebuilt in the 18th century.

Karamba Resort is set in the fisherman’s village of Kizimkazi, on the South West coast of Zanzibar. In the Menai Bay Conservation area. The village women, sit on the beach, and weave ropes from coconut pods. The sea front restaurant offers local and international cuisine, with an emphasis on Mediterranean dishes and fish, seafood, sushi and sashimi, vegetarian and yogic sattvic meals.

It was Austrian night yesterday in Matemwe: Guten Appetit!

28 Mar

 

Serban Peterfy, with the already impressive experience: Restaurant Bad Saag run by Hubert Wallner, Lake Wörth in Carinthia –  2 Gault Millau toques / 16 points, Burg Vital Hotel, Lech am Arlberg –  3 Gault Millau toques / 18 points, Loibnerhof run by the Knoll family –  1 Gault Millau toques /13 points made a point to offer the best of the traditionnal dishes from Austria and Hungary at Green & Blue Lodge last night in Matemwe.

 

 

For last night only he forgot how to combine the salt and freshness of the sea with exotic fruit and the flavours of the spice Island to create the ultimate taste experience and remembered his grand-mother’s recipes and advice.

 

 

Austrian music gave rhythm to the night in between each dishes and glasses of Austrian white wines…

 

 

Enjoy the otherwise fresh products of the island and spend a few nights in the Green & Blue lodge which has been decorated in the authentic style of Zanzibar and encompasses the exotic nature of the South Seas. Everything there revolves around pampering and enjoyment…

 

 

CHECK OUR FACEBOOK PAGES FOR MORE PICTURES OF THE MEAL AND LODGE!

http://www.facebook.com/KandiliVilla

Tower Top Restaurant: bird’s eye view over Stone Town

24 Mar

 

Open since 1993, the Tower Top Restaurant lies high amongst the ornate minarets, temple towers, and church spires of ancient Stone Town. Located on the roof of 236 Hurumzi, guests feel as if they’re on top of the world as they sip exotic cocktails, watching the sun disappear into the Indian Ocean. The Muslim call to prayer accents the setting of Arab-style pillows and small tables and the Hindu Temple chimes remind the guests that they are far away from the stress they left at home.

 

 

Open to all, they serve a lunch menu with a full a la carte selection of appetizers, salads, entrees and desserts, both vegetarian and non-vegetarian.

 

 

The Tower Top Restaurant is the best location to enjoy a leisurely lunch with spectacular views of the roof tops of Zanzibar Stone Town and the beautiful Indian Ocean. Truly a birds’ eye view with flavorful Swahili-Arabic cuisine and dependable friendly service, 81 stairs above the streets of Stone Town.